Saturday, March 28, 2009

Fun Stuff with Gussie


I thought it would be fun to share a few stories of the antics and personality traits of our precious blue and gold macaw. Besides the fact that she is show stopper, for anyone who walks in the house without having prior knowledge of her, she is also very cheerful most of the time.

I fully understand how that might sound to someone who hasn't had the pleasure of living with a parrot but as I continue, if you hang in here with me, I think you might become enlightened. The rest of you can keep your snickering to yourself while I attempt to educate.

We became bird owners because our friends needed to move out of state quickly. (No, they weren't in trouble with the law.) As mentioned previously, my husband had been a bird owner, I had not. I wanted to help our friends AND provide my husband with a pet, companion and another interest. We worked very odd schedules and it was not easy for us to do things socially with friends. I was sure he would enjoy having Gussie to fill that void.

As it turned out, while we were making every effort to acclimate Gussie I spent time softly talking to her while she was in a carrier. That went on for the better part of an hour and then I walked away so my husband could have his turn. When I returned to the scene he was still chatting with her and reassuring her that she would come to like us over time. She heard my approaching footsteps and immediately said, "Mamma?" I was branded, she was attached and my husband has been second string ever since. I was now a bird owner.

Lesson Learned: A recent acquaintance with many years experience of professional bird care educated me on how to properly acclimate a bird. They should be fed on a schedule for the first few days and during the remainder of that time she suggests that the bird be kept quiet and left alone so they can adjust on their own. Then about the third day they can get better acquainted with their new "Mammas" or whoever they have moved in with.

No comments:

Post a Comment